back to top
My wish lists
Save your wish list
If you want to add more content to your wish list, simply log in. If you do not have a user account, please register for the Hanser Customer Center.

» Do you already have a user account? Please log in here.
» Don't have a user account yet? Please register here.
Your wish lists
If you want to use your wish list during your next visit, simply log in. If you do not have a user account, please register for the Hanser Customer Center.
» Do you already have a user account? Please log in here.
» Don't have a user account yet? Please register here.

« Back

Your advantages at a glance

  • One login for all Hanser portals
  • Individual home page for faster access to preferred content
  • Exclusive access to selected content
  • Personal wish lists on all portals
  • Central management of your personal information and newsletter subscriptions

Register now
Deutsch
Bookmark Bookmarked
02-14-2019

Directly-Cooled Electric Motor Made from Plastics

Novel Cooling Concept for Eco-Friendly Mobility

Making electric cars lighter also involves reducing the weight of the motor. One way to do that is by constructing it from fiber-reinforced polymer materials. Researchers at the Fraunhofer Institute for Chemical Technology ICT are working together with the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology KIT to develop a new cooling concept that will enable polymers to be used as motor housing materials. A further advantage of the concept: it also significantly increases the power density and efficiency of the motor compared to the state of the art.

  • Directly-Cooled Electric Motor: DEmiL – the core of the motor is a stator consisting of 12 individual teeth, which are wound upright using a flat wire (© Fraunhofer ICT)

  • Coolant circuit in the stator (© Fraunhofer ICT)

1 | 0

Commercial - the next slide will be displayed in seconds - skip

Commercial - the next slide will be displayed in seconds - skip

As part of the DEmiL project – a German abbreviation that stands for directly-cooled electric motor with integrated lightweight housing – researchers at Fraunhofer ICT in Pfinztal are now working with the Institute of Vehicle System Technology (FAST) and the Institute of Electrical Engineering (ETI) at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology KIT to develop a novel approach that incorporates direct cooling of the stator and rotor. The static stator contains the copper windings that the electricity flows through – and this is where the majority of electrical losses occur. “The novel aspects of our new concept lie in the stator,” says Robert Maertens, a researcher at Fraunhofer ICT.

Flat Wire Replaces Round Wire

Electric motors have a high efficiency of over 90%, which means that a high proportion of the electrical energy is converted into mechanical energy. The remaining 10% or so of the electrical energy is lost in the form of heat. To prevent the motor from overheating, the heat in the stator is currently conducted through a metal housing to a cooling sleeve filled with cold water.
The teams of researchers have replaced the round wire with rectangular flat wire that can be wound more tightly in the stator. This creates more space for the cooling channel next to the flat wire winding phases. The heat losses can be dissipated through the cooling channel inside the stator, eliminating the need to transport the heat through the metal housing to an exterior cooling sleeve.

“It offers other benefits, too, including lower thermal inertia and higher continuous output from the motor,” says Maertens, explaining some of the advantages of the new system. In addition, the new design incorporates a rotor cooling solution that also allows the rotor’s heat loss to be dissipated directly within the motor.

Plastics Offer Further Advantages

By dissipating the heat close to where it is generated, the project partners were able to construct the entire motor and housing from polymer materials, leading to further advantages. “Polymer housings are lightweight and easier to produce than aluminum housings. They also lend themselves to complex geometries without requiring post-processing, so we made some real savings on overall weight and cost,” Maertens says. The metal currently required as a heat conductor can be replaced by polymer materials, which have a low thermal conductivity compared to metals.

The project partners chose to use fiber-reinforced, thermosetting plastics of their project partner SBHPP Vyncolit that offer high temperature resistance and high resistance to aggressive coolants. Unlike thermoplastics, thermosets do not swell when they come into contact with chemicals.

Suitable for Large Series Production

The plastic housing is produced in an automated injection molding process. The cycle time for manufacturing the prototypes is currently 4 min. The stators themselves are overmolded with a thermally conductive epoxy resin molding compound in a transfer molding process. The team of researchers chose a design and manufacturing process for the electric motor that will allow it to be mass-produced.

The team has already completed the stator assembly and experimentally validated the cooling concept. They used an electrical current to introduce the amount of heat in the copper windings that would be generated in real operation according to the simulation.

“We found that we can already dissipate over 80 percent of the expected heat losses. And we already have some promising approaches for dealing with the remaining heat losses of just under 20 percent, for example by optimizing the flow of coolant. We are now at the stage of assembling the rotors and will soon be able to operate the motor on the test bench at the Institute of Electrical Engineering and validate it in real operation,” says Maertens, summing up the project’s current status.

Additional information
  • 01-08-2019

    Creating Digital Twins of Materials

    Materials Data Space for Additive Manufacturing

    Data spaces can be used to integrate all types of materials information into digital networks.   more

  • 12-05-2018

    Technical Coatings for Additive Manufacturing

    NPO Sirris and Fraunhofer Institute IAP Cooperate

    The post processing of parts fabricated by additive manufacturing is time consuming and often a significant cost factor for manufacturers. Technical coatings open up new possibilities for the AM market, especially in industrial production.   more

  • 12-03-2018

    Precisely Fitting Bone Implants from the Printer

    Cold Plasma Improves Bonding of Bone-Forming Cells

    During the 3D printing process of plastic bone implants, Fraunhofer researchers treat the individual layers with a cold plasma in order to improve the bonding of bone-forming cells.   more

Company profile

Fraunhofer-Institut für Chemische Technologie ICT

Joseph-von-Fraunhofer-Str. 7
DE 76327 Pfinztal
Tel.: 0721 4640-0
Fax: 0721 4640-111

Newsletter

Would you like to subscribe to our Newsletters on plastics technology and profit from the latest information?

Subscribe here

Subscribe here