Polyamide Technyl 4earth
Reducing Environmental Impact
Solvay, a leader in polyamide-based performance materials, officially introduced at K 2016 the brand new solution Technyl 4earth providing breakthrough environmental benefits as compared to traditional Polyamide 6.6 (PA6.6). Solvay’s initial cradle-to-gate assessment shows outstanding results: carbon footprint reduced by a quarter; consumption of non-renewable resources divided by two; and water use decreased by over two-thirds compared to traditional compounds.
Technyl 4earth is born from the Move 4earth project supported by the European Commission (LIFE+ program) and recently awarded the Pierre Potier Prize for sustainable and eco-responsible developments. Industrialized in Poland, this patented process transforms stable sources of post-industrial or end-of-life technical textiles, such as automotive airbags, into prime quality engineering plastics. This unique technology offers novel eco-friendly products with similar performance when compared to our traditional Technyl:
- Material viscosity similar to traditional Technyl
- Material tolerance and variation in glass fiber content on level with virgin grades
- Hot runner moldable
- Excellent mechanical properties
- Good aging performances
Officially launched at K 2016 in Düsseldorf, Solvay is already developing a number of applications using Technyl 4earth with major players in automotive and consumer goods markets. Solvay’s goal with Technyl 4earth is to accelerate the use of sustainable plastics by providing better-performing grades to meet today’s ever more demanding technical requirements and broaden the scope of target applications, including:
- Automotive market: bearing cages, gear-shift housings, oil pans, oil separators, cylinder head covers, air intake manifolds, transmission covers, belt protection and tensioners…
- Electrical appliances: household, gardening and do-it-yourself appliances…
- Consumer and industrial goods: thermal breaks/window profiles, furniture components, industrial components, sports and leisure equipment, farming tools, 2-wheelers…
Solvay Engineering Plastics Worldwide Headquarters
Patents encourage innovation: Stay on the ball with the latest innovations in the plastics industry in our patents section.
Would you like to subscribe to our Newsletters on plastics technology and profit from the latest information?
You know the trade name but want to know the material manufacturer, type of polymer and delivery form? Search here!