Patent Dispute Ended
EPO Granted Patent for Cannon FPL SR Mixing Head
The design of the FPL SR’s discharge duct had been already granted a patent in Italy in 2014 and one in the USA in 2016. The European Patent Office – the Authority in charge of granting European Patents, based in Munich, Germany – has examined for the past two years the reasons of the two parties. The case has been closed on July 2nd in favour of Cannon Afros S.p.A., Caronno Pertusella, Italy.
The patent covers a peculiar construction of the discharge duct of the head, obtained using a removable self-cleaning cylinder in a single piece bushing, with a cross-hole matching the mixing chamber’s outlet. The cross-hole round surface is provided with a self-regenerating sealing method that is spontaneously formed by mixing and expelling the chemical components: this seal avoids any contamination of foam in the hollow space between the removable cylindrical delivery channel and the rod of the hammer-shaped self-cleaning plunger.
According to the manufacturer, several advantages characterise this technical solution:
- A from 3 to 5 times longer useful life of the mixing head, thanks to the single-piece design of the bushing
- A lighter mixing head, easier to handle and to be mounted on robots
- A doubled laminar flow rate, thanks to a longer head’s nose
- A simpler maintenance, thanks to the possibility to change bushing and plunger locally
- A wider range of head models, to properly size the ratios between the two chambers, suitable for the new chemical formulations currently still under development
The family of Cannon FPL SR mixing heads counts 6 different models, suitable for the widest range of Polyurethane moulding applications.
Would you like to subscribe to our Newsletters on plastics technology and profit from the latest information?
Looking for a new challenge? Check out our jobs market!
Patents encourage innovation: Stay on the ball with the latest innovations in the plastics industry in our patents section.