SPE Names Winners of the Automotive Innovation Awards Competition
The Automotive Division of the Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE) announced the category and Grand Award winners of its 46th-annual Automotive Innovation Awards Competition, the oldest and largest recognition event in the automotive and plastics industries. The announcement was made November 9, 2016 during the 46th SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Gala, held at Burton Manor in Livonia, Mich., U.S.A. The Body Interior category winner was also the year's Grand Award winner. This year's winners were:
- Category Aftermarket: Carbon Fiber Composite Spoiler, 2016 General Motors Co. Chevrolet Corvette sports car; Tier Supplier/Processor: deBotech, Inc.; Material Supplier / Toolmaker: Solvay / deBotech, Inc.
- Category Body Exterior: Structural Front End Module with Active Grille Shutter, 2016 Ford Motor Co. Ford SuperDuty pickup; Tier Supplier/Processor: Shape Corp.; Material Supplier / Toolmaker: Celanese Corp. / Not stated
- Grand Award & Category Body Interior: Composites Suspensions for Upper and Lower Backs, 2017 Ford Motor Co. Lincoln Continental luxury sedan; Tier Supplier/Processor: Leggett & Platt Inc. & Magna International / Summit Plastic Molding & Century Plastics; Material Supplier / Toolmaker: BASF Corp., Advanced Composites, Inc., DuPont Automotive / Summit Plastic Molding & Mega Mold
- Category Chassis/Hardware: Strut Mount, 2016 General Motors Co. Cadillac CT6 luxury sedan; Tier Supplier/Processor: ContiTech North America, Inc.; Material Supplier / Toolmaker: BASF Corp. / Not stated
- Category Environmental: Closed-Loop Recycling of Bottles, 2016 General Motors Co. (GM) Chevrolet Equinox & GMC Terrain cross-over utility vehicles (CUVs); Tier Supplier/Processor: Exo-s / Rogers Foam Co.; Material Supplier / Toolmaker: Wm. T. Burnett & Co. / Not stated
- Category Materials: Vacuum Brake Tubes, 2016 General Motors Co. Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra pickups; Tier Supplier/Processor: Cooper Standard; Material Supplier / Toolmaker: DSM Engineering Plastics / Not stated
- Category Powertrain: Air Intake Manifold, 2015 Volkswagen AG EA21 1.6L engines; Tier Supplier/Processor: Hua Tao Ltd.; Material Supplier / Toolmaker: SABIC / Not stated
- Category Process/Assembly/Enabling Technologies: Robotic laser Cutting and Welding of TPO Fascia, 2017 General Motors Co. Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 sports car; Tier Supplier/Processor: Magna Exteriors, Inc. / Magna Exterior - DexSys; Material Supplier / Toolmaker: LyondellBasell / Jenoptik AG
- Category Safety: Seat Cushin Frame and Storage Door, 2016 Ford Motor Co. Ford Super Duty pickup; Tier Supplier/Processor: Royal Technologies Corp.; Material Supplier / Toolmaker: Celanese Corp. / Vortec Tooling Solutions, Inc.
SPE Automotive previously announced already the Lifetime Achievement (Dr. Lawrence Drzal) and Hall of Fame (first polycarbonate instrument panel) winners. SPE’s Automotive Innovation Awards Program is the oldest and largest competition of its kind in the world. Dozens of teams made up of OEMs, tier suppliers, and polymer producers submit nominations describing their part, system, or complete vehicle and why it merits the claim as the Year’s Most Innovative Use of Plastics. This annual event typically draws over 700 OEM engineers, automotive and plastics industry executives, and media. As is customary, funds raised from this event are used to support SPE educational efforts and technical seminars, which help educate and secure the role of plastics in the advancement of the automobile.
Would you like to subscribe to our Newsletters on plastics technology and profit from the latest information?
Looking for a new challenge? Check out our jobs market!
Patents encourage innovation: Stay on the ball with the latest innovations in the plastics industry in our patents section.